I can’t believe the month is already over. Now that I’ve experienced my first Jan Plan, I can officially join the club of people who will tell you January is one of their favorite times on campus. Of course, I do love warm weather and summer and all of the happiness that comes along with that time of year, but Jan Plan certainly made one of the roughest parts of winter much more enjoyable. So, here are 8 reasons why Jan Plan is the best.
1. Colby is beautiful at all times of the year, but snow-dusted-Colby may be one of the prettiest sights of all.
2. Jan Plan classes are fun classes. It’s a time where you can take a class that you’re really interested in, or a class in an area that you normally wouldn’t have a chance to explore. Classes range from Volcanology to Woodworking to African Drumming to Music in the Holocaust, and many, many more. The possibilities are endless.
3. Jan Plan can be a great opportunity to travel. This year, I know people who are doing various projects and classes in Italy, France, Ghana, Indonesia, and India.
4. Jan Plan = more free time, which means time to hang out with friends! Movies, board games, Netflix, hot chocolate, and cuddling under warm blankets is a must on those cold January nights.
5. Jan Plan means winter activities! The outing club leads several trips during Jan Plan to do some winter camping, snow shoeing, skiing, and more! It’s also a great time to venture out on your own to cross-country ski, build snowmen, go sledding, and head to Sugarloaf or Sunday River to downhill ski.
6. Good food. During Jan Plan, you’ll often find yourself spending much longer in the dining halls than usual, simply because you have extra time to relax and chill with people. Long dinners are always filled with yummy food and great conversations with friends.
7. No stress! The workload of Jan Plan classes is considerably smaller than during a normal semester, so there is more time to relax.
8. Jan Plan = love. Everyone seems happy during Jan Plan, which makes everyone feel closer to one another, which makes Colby feel like a real family.
“This is the most comfortable I’ve been all day!” -Molly Plunkett, ’18
Blizzard day… first at Colby since 1998!